The triceps extension machine is a great way to isolate and strengthen the back of your arms. Learn to perform this exercise with the Fitness Institute team.
Guide: How to Build an Athletic Body Quickly
- Grab the handle in front of you and step back.
- Bend your knees and hips slightly, keeping your chest up.
- Keep your elbows at your sides throughout the movement.
- Be careful not to lean too far forward, we want our hands to be as far forward as possible, keeping our elbows along the body.
- Fully extend elbows to take advantage of full range of motion, then return hands to starting positions.
If we do this, our deltoids and pectorals will be affected (see bench press guide and bench press guide). You see this a lot in the gym and you can guarantee it’s not the activation they’re looking for. When you look at this error, you can see the similarities to a chest dip.
Triceps Extension Machine Instructions
STARTING POSITION (SETUP): Sit on the machine and align the seat so that your arms rest comfortably on the cushion and are approximately parallel to the ground. Grasp the machine handles with your palms facing each other.
MOVEMENT (ACTION): Keeping your torso straight and elbows in, push the handles forward and down until your arms are fully extended.
Contract your triceps. Reverse direction and return to starting position. You should feel resistance throughout the movement.
Reason: This is an isolation exercise
This exercise is an isolation exercise as it will only target the triceps muscle group. The movement when using the triceps extension machine occurs at only one joint. This means that when performing the exercise, the effort will be on the triceps muscles and nowhere else. Most exercises, such as pushups or chest presses, will work the triceps muscles as a secondary target muscle. If you’re looking for a way to create balance for both triceps muscles, using the triceps extension machine should be a priority.
- Sit on the triceps extension machine.
- Take the handles of the machine and place the upper part of your arms on the armrest, with your elbows aligned with the axis of rotation of the machine.
- Keeping your upper arms flat on the armrests, exhale as you push the handles down until your elbows are fully extended.
- Inhale as you reverse the movement in a controlled manner until you feel a slight stretch in your triceps.
- Repeat the prescribed number of repetitions.